The village of Dolné Vestenice is situated in the District of Prievidza which is a part of
the Trenčín region. It is one of the biggest villages of this region as there are
about 2697 inhabitants living in the village. Located in the narrow valley of the
Nitrica river, the total cadastral area of Dolné Vestenice is 13 836 square metres.
The village is situated 224 metres above sea level.
Surrounded by the local hills known as Strážovské vrchy and Drienovský vrch, there are
numerous unique and protected plants growing in and around this village. About 37
species of birds were spotted in the area and various sorts of game including dears,
boars, moufflons and roes live wild in the local woods.
The earliest written reference of the village dates from 1349 however some historical
documents indicated that the village was established in the late 11th century. The
golden era of the village dates to 17th century when Dolné Vestenice became an
important administrative and economic center of the region. The local inhabitants
have always been occupied with fruit growing, farming, agricultural activities and
working for the local rubber factory known as Vegum, joint stock company. This
factory still exists in the village, employing more that 1700 people from the
region and co - operating with several foreign investors and buyers.
The village has been developed rapidly over the past decades. It has changed from a
sleepy Slovak village into modern village with good general infrastructure. New gas
and water pipes as well as sewage system were put down; the local primary school was
extended; the new school gym should be completed in the next couple of months and
the new rehabilitation and recreational center is going to be open in the foreseeable
future. These projects still require plenty of work, investments and financial
participation, so all investors are welcome to discuss further development.
Sporting activities and cultural events have always played a crucial role in the village
life. The local football team, currently playing in the 3rd western division, relies
heavily on the support of local fans. The local school also supports young pupils who
are keen on football and other sports and focus on their sporting interests during PE
The surrounding of the village is an ideal place for mountain biking, walking and
hunting. The most popular destinations for walkers are local hills called Strážovské
vrchy, Uhrovec, Jankov vŕšok, Rokoš and the valley known as Rudnianska dolina. There
is also a chapel known as the Chapel of Holy Mary (Kaplnka Panny Márie) in the village,
which was built in the late 18th century (1789). The stone cross which is situated in
front of the local church date from 1789. The village facilities include several pubs,
restaurants and shops.