Town Fižakovo is situated in the southeastern part of the Lučenec district, 15km away
from the frontier crossing with Hungary. Number of inhabitants oscilates over 10 000
inhabitants. Although Fižakovo belongs to smaller towns, its history is very rich.
The first written mention of the settlement with the right to toll comes from the year
1246, therefore in 2001 we will celebrating the anniversary of 755 years. Fižakovo has
become royal town in the Medieval Age and together with the castle belonged to some
important aristocratic families of Hungary (Matú Čák, Bebeks, Perénys, Kohárys, Coburgs).
Points of interest, remarkables and rarities
The Castle of Fižakovo is situated on a stone hill in the middle of the town and forms
its dominant. It consists of three parts: upper, central, lower.
In the 1554 the Castle was conquered by the Turks and almost 40 years was a seat of the
Fižakovo´s sandjak to which belonged most of South Slovakia. The Turks fortified walls
of town, built the Turks spa, flower and fruit gardens, shops, handicrafts
manufactories, improved Castle´s water-pipeline, a well and a cistern.
In the 17th century the Castle of Fižakovo became seat of committees of Novohrad, Hont,
Heve and Pe. In the year 1682 garrison of the castle defended Fižakovo against the
Turks army. Because of betrayal of commander of castle guard the Turks got the
castle and then it was burnt out. Town was settled gradually, but the castle has
been still in ruins.
The Castle of Fižakovo
In the 1970s of the 20th century the Institute of monument´s care began with
reconstruction. In the former decade town´s representatives were concerned with this
important historical and cultural monument and thanks to financial aid of PRO Slovakia
and the State environment fund and financial resources of town it came to reconstruction
of the Bebek´s tower, it were built up an educational path and access routes to the
highest situated places at the Castle.
The Castle is open for public, especially for tourists who have visited our town since
the year 1993. During the main tourist season from April 1 to September 30 with a
During this period the castle is open daily except Monday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Visitors of the Castle can know its history and town and can visit the Town´s museum
where are located many important artefacts of town´s history and its surrounding.