Monday, 24 June 2019
towns & villages | t. & v. associations | attractions | today - events in Slovakia | tourism | flora & fauna | advertising
information for tourists | map of SR | exhibitions | travel agencies | sport | guestbook | products & services
 
 
slovensky
slovensky


Association
of historic
towns and villages

Liptovský Mikuláš

Lokation
 Attraction highlighting: Church of St Nicolaus, the Museum of J.Kráľ, the Synagogue

Position: (577m above sea level) Town is situated in the middle of the Liptovská hollow and is surrounded by slopes of the Low and West Tatras and the Chočské hills. It is spread mainly on the northern bank of the Váh river, northwest of the town there is a water dam called Liptovská Mara.
Thanks to nature beauties, carst occurence, abundance of mineral springs, amount of cultural-historical monuments, monuments of folk archirecture, active folklor Liptov became one of the most sought centres of summer and winter tourism.


History: Town had been settled during the Bronz Age. The Slaw habitation was very important. The first written mention originates from 1286. In the 14th century city was awarded the right of market. In 1677 Liptovský Mikuláš became seat of the country and permanent place for meetings of the Country assembly and court.
In 1713 Juraj Jánošík was tried here. In the 18th century town was flourishing and number of handicrafts was enlarged. In the 19th century town became centre of cultural, national and political life. The first public library was founded here (1829), then the first amateur theatre (1830), a cultural society Tatrín (1844) and the first political program of the Slovaks - The Requests of the Slovak Nation (1848).

The end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries are connected with an organised movement of workers. May 1, 1918 is a red-letter day, when tanners striked against the War and for formation of joint state of the Czechs and the Slovaks.

World War II marked destinies of many citizens, mainly the Jews transported out of the town. After World War II town has developed and Liptovský Mikuláš has become administrative, economical, cultural and tourist centre of Central Liptov.


Points of interest, remarkables and rarities


back to top

Monuments of town: The Church of St Nicolaus, the Museum of J. Kráľ, a torture chamber, the Synagogue, Tatrín and the Requests of the Slovak Nation, the native house of the Rázus, the Gallery of P. M. Bohúň, the Slovak Museum of nature and cave protection.


Items of interest: Demänovské caves, Važecká cave, thermal swimming pools in Bešeňová and Liptovský Ján, the Church in Svätý Kríž, the Museum of Liptov village in Pribylina, a reserve of folk architecture in Vlkolínec, water-mills in Oblazy, the Celtic habitation in Havránok.


Sports opportunities: tourism, cycle-tourism, water sports, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, alpine skiing, not so traditional sports: rafting, paragliding, mountaineering, public visit of inaccesable caves, horseback riding.

Translation: Hošková


Info:
         e-mail: trade@ba.psg.sk
         phone: 00421-903447629, 00421-650340155
   
Attractions
      
E-mail us
 
home

  back