Attraction highlighting: Neo-Baroque Monastery, Roman-Catholic Church, Gothic Chapel
Senica is situated in the northern part of the Záhorská lowland, on its border with the
Myjavská wold, 200m above sea level.
The first written mentions originate from 1256 under the name Stinicka, Scyntel, Szenicz.
At the beginning of the 14th century during a glorious era of Matúš Čák the Castle Branč
and Senica had got a new owner. To the group of feudal lords who supported the King
Zigmund belonged Stibor from Stiborice, the Pole aristocrat in origin. In a deed of
donation from 1394 the Castle Branč had got Senica, too. The first town privilege
awarded by Stibor from 1396 and two charters of Zigmund from 1419 became basis for
further economical development of Senica.
In 1512 owner of Senica was replaced. Senica became permanent property of the Nyáryovec.
In the 17th century many craftsmen moved in the city, various guilds were founded
(bell founding). In the 18th century penetrated new manufactures as processing of
wool for cloth, production of beer and spirit.
Near Senica, in Hlboké was formed a natural centre of the Slovak national movement. At
the Parish office of Jozef Miloslav Hurban were created the first claims of the Slovaks
and at this place was enacted the Slovak language in the year 1843. This Hurban´s
uprising had disastrous consequences in Senica.
Points of interest, remarkables and rarities
From October 13 - October 18, many people were sentenced and kept in prison, and also
executed. These events are mentioned by the Cenotaph of martyrs executed in the
revolution year 1848.
From historical monuments were preserved only a former Gothic Chapel, the Roman-Catholic
Church from 1864, the Evangelical Church from 1783 and the Neo-Baroque Monastery from
1760 with the Záhorská Gallery inside.
Literary history of Senica is very rich. Senica is a native place or station for many
Štefan Pilárik, Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav, Dr. Štefan Fajnor, Martin Braxatoris - son of
Andrej Sládkovič, Viliam Paulíny Tóth, Jozef Karol Viktorín, Ladislav Paulíny, Ján Mocko,
Ivan Horváth, Laco Novomeský, Dr. Jozef Banský, Ján Majerník, Ľubomír Feldek, academic
painter Ján Mudroch.
A favourable position of town, extent and structure of production basis contributed to
becoming district town in 1960.
It was realised rebuilding and were constructed many dwelling houses and other objects
corresponding to importance of district town. Small agricultural town has grown into a
modern city with 22 297 citizens.
Nowadays Senica is an important seat. Many factories and organisations of chemical,
agricultural, food and building character with developed education, culture and sport
are in operation.