Zálesie belongs to the youngest villages of the Zamagurie. It is situated on the foot of
the northern slopes of the Spišská Magura, above the Zálesiansky brook which flows into
the Rieka brook at Matiašovce. Village was founded in 1636 following the Valach´s right
under the name Gibeľ and local people call village with this name till the present day.
Village belonged to owners of the castle in Niedzica.
Inhabitants worked in agriculture and in the forests. Nowadays many natives live in the
surrounding industrial and agricultural seats and there were preserved the Goral´s
settlements after their leav which are used as cottages.
Location of village out of the main trafic road, but not so far from the most important
tourist centres of the Zamagurie creates ideal conditions for cottage and relax tourism.
Crest of the Spišská Magura, the Pieniny, seats with preserved folk architecture like
Osturňa, Jezerské and Havka are very sought objects
for auto-tourism combined with walking or for cycle-tourism. In
Červený Kláštor tourists can go
rafting through the Prielom Dunajca, very
popular is walking through this or by bicycle using an educational tourist path to
village Lesnica or to the Polish spa town
Szcawnica. An extraordinary advantage is the proximity of the frontier crossing between
Slovakia and Poland in Lysá nad Dunajcom, which enables to enlarge tourism into the P
olish side of the Pieniny and Podhalie.
Accommodation for tourists provide cottages and boarding houses like the Zálesanka
standing in the middle of village with capacity of 40 beds.